Anonymity is something that has been on my mind for quite some time now. I have none. As in I am not anonymous in any way humanly possible, and it’s starting to bother me. Not that I want to be anonymous necessarily, but the fact that you can google my name (or any version of) and find out pretty much anything about me (down to my personal details like my address-SCARY) freaks me out.
When I first started blogging and making my presence known on the internet, I never thought I’d have anything to hide so I had no qualms using my real name. Recently however I’m feeling much differently about it. Especially since I’ve decided to go back to school and go into education.
Sadly, I live in a state where you can be fired for just about anything-there are laws in place that say you can be fired for something as simple as having a different political or religious beliefs than your boss does. It’s ridiculous. My roommate teaches and is constantly worried about what students or parents of students may find online (even though he keeps a low profile) and now I’m worried about that for myself as well.
I’ve already gone through and made as many things as private and deactivated some old accounts with my name on them (good ol’ google still finds them though-UGH) but there are some things I can’t, or am not sure how, to get away from. Like those stupid Pipl profile things that find all the info on you and offer it up to people who want to pay for it. They make me feel so violated.
But then there are things like this blog. This blog that I have put so much work into over the years. It comes up in the search with my full name (even though I don’t recall using my full name on it-at least not for years and years) so any potential employer/student/student’s parents would be able to pull this up and find out all about me.
The problem is…
- I don’t want to make this blog private. I want to continue to let it grow.
- I don’t want to change the name and url and start all over again.
- I don’t know how to stop search results from pulling things that don’t even really exist on this blog/site any longer.
- I don’t want to have to change my name and relocate…
So what options do I have?
One option would be to go through this blog and delete anything incriminating I have ever written, and then stop writing anything very personal on here.
- I would get to stay here and not change my blog.
- I would be more protected in the future.
- Having a future in the career I want. (If I don’t, some of my life being so public could really hurt chances.)
- I would lose some of my own voice here in my blog.
- I would lose followers (who wants to just read about emotionless stuff?)
- I would lose some of my history here, and you know how I hate to delete posts.
- I would probably just loose all joy in this blog altogether.
- I’d have to create another blog that is for my more personal and anonymous musings.
How do you handle anonymity and search results?