Makeshift Hot Toddy Recipe
Now I remember my dad making Hot Toddies when I was a kid. Each time he was sick he’d get the buttered rum down from the cupboard (the one us kids couldn’t reach) and make himself a hot concoction that smelled like Christmas, and then go take a hot bath with it. I wasn’t sure exactly what else goes into a Hot Toddy, and my roommate said for his family they were always just hot Whiskey with lemon and honey. So I googled it. Not having all of the ingredients the recipe called for, I decided to improvise with what I had in the cupboard, and add some cinnamon since it is supposed to be good for colds.
Makeshift Hot Toddy Ingredients
So here’s what you need to make this cold-fighting makeshift Hot Toddy…
- Echinacea Tea (or any Tea will do-but echinacea has good healing in it)
- Orange (or lemon, but all I had were oranges)
- Spiced Rum (or Whiskey)
- Hot Water
How to Make the Hot Toddy
- Boil water for the tea, when it boils put it in a separate mug with the tea and let the tea steep until it’s strong.
- Coat the bottom of your mug with the honey. I put about 2 tbsp in, but you can adjust according to your taste and mug size.
- Sprinkle in cinnamon (I put about 1 tsp).
- Squeeze a quarter of your orange/lemon in to the cup.
- Add Spiced Rum/Whiskey. I used about 1/4 cup-but you can add more if you’re feeling it. ;P
- Poor the hot tea into the mug with everything else.
- Add more hot boiling water as needed.
- Stir, and drink!
When this concoction came together I thought it sounded like it was going to be disgusting, but it was actually really good and soothing, and it put me right to sleep on the couch despite trying to watch Sleepy Hollow.