- Acorn Squash – 1 half for each person (it’s incredibly filling)
- Mushrooms (sliced)
- Onions (diced/minced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Butter (or substitute-I used Smart Balance)
- Seasonings – your choice
- Cheese (I used Vintage Cheddar and Havarti)
I have been on such a squash kick lately. A while back I shared a recipe for Cheesy Curried Mushroom & Onion Stuffed Delicata Squash, and now I’m sharing this one for Stuffed Acorn Squash. It was sooooo tasty, and can pass as vegetarian. This can even be a good vegan meal if you leave out the cheese.
What you’ll need:
1. The first thing you’ll want to do is get your Acorn Squash cooking. Place it in an oven-safe pan and puncture it a few times. This allows the steams to release (so it doesn’t explode) while it’s baking. It’ll take roughly 45 minutes to an hour at about 365 degrees.
2. About half an hour into the baking you’ll want to start your sautéing. In a large skillet melt your butter (or substitute) and add your garlic and onions so they can start cooking and season your pan.
3. When the onions and garlic are starting to look good and soft-golden brown, add your mushrooms in to cook.
4. Here is where you’ll want to add in your seasonings. I used black pepper, a little rosemary, and some homemade Sriracha salt that my roommate received as a gift from our good friend Brittany.
5. When the mushrooms are starting to look close to done, throw in your Spinach. Spinach cooks up fast, and will add a lovely big of green to your meal-with lots of nutrients.
6. Your squash should be about done now, so you’ll want to pull it out (careful, it’s hot!) and slice it in half lengthwise. You’ll then want to scoop out the seeds inside. It reminded me of pumpkin insides.
7. Now fill your squash halves with your sautéd mixture!
8. Top with cheese.
9. Pop back in the oven or under the broiler for another 10 minutes or so until the cheese is melted and bubbly and then it’s ready to serve! We paired ours with some baked tilapia, but these could easily be eaten on their own because they are very filling and go a long way.