I love Halloween, and I have a love of scary movies that goes all the way back to my childhood when Poltergeist was something I looked forward to all year, and I begged my mom to let me watch Stephen King movies. I’ve always loved Halloween movies, so I’d like to share my Halloween watchlist with you! Enjoy!
1. Hocus Pocus (1993): This seems to be one of the top movies on most peoples’ lists, and I could not agree more. In fact I recently learned I didn’t have a copy, and promptly logged into Amazon and ordered it! Now I do!
2. Practical Magic (1998): One of those movies that can’t be forgotten. It’s not necessarily overly scary, but it’s a staple for me. One of my favorite movies of all time. It reminds me of good times and past Halloweens with Melanie.
3. The Halloween Tree (1992): One of my favorite childhood Halloween movies. It’s strangely creepy for a cartoon, but it should be since it’s made from a Ray Bradbury novel. He has a knack for the creepy-and it’s so great.
4. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): Yeah it has Christmas in the title, but it’s best at Halloween. Well, it’s best at BOTH holidays! Nightmare Before Christmas forever. I’m also a bit Tim Burton fan-and I adore Jack.
5. Beetlejuice (1988): Probably one of the best staples of my childhood list. It’s hilarious, and so much fun!
7. Poltergeist (1982): As a child we were allowed to watch Potergeist on Halloween, and when I’d start counting down the days until Halloween it was one part that was in my mind. I always wanted to stay up late on Halloween to watch it, even when I was full of candy and nodding off on the couch.
8. Cabin in the Woods (2012): Okay, so maybe this isn’t super Halloweeny but I’ve already watched it for Halloween this year, and it’s such a fun one. It’s Joss Whedon, so you know it’s both weird and good!
10. Halloween (2007): I really enjoy the Rob Zombie remake. It’s nice and creepy-and a great Halloween official!
11. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949): You can only get it on the later bundled Adventures of Ichabod Crane & Mr. Toad, but it’s the same cartoon-and so fun and spooky!
12. Trick ‘r Treat (2007): This was was a really fun horror movie to get into for Halloween!
13. The Addams Family (1991): Ahhhh a classic. Who doesn’t love Wednesday and Cousin It?
14. Pet Semetary (1991): This was a movie I begged and begged my mother to let me watch as a child. She insisted it was too scary and I could watch it when I grew up. I finally was able to rent it and watch it at grandma’s with my best friend around 12 years old. We just laughed at the dancing kid.
15. Sleepy Hollow (1999): Yep, another Tim Burton. It’s not the last. I really love this take on the story!
16. It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966): Soooo cute, and exactly my childhood.
17. Friday the 13th (2009): Yep, I’m going with the remake here too. Sorry for those of you that are originals only kind of people-I had so much fun going to the theatre to see this with my friends!
18. The Corpse Bride (2005): I know a lot of people didn’t love it, but I do! It’s soooo cute!
19. ParaNorman (2012): This one ended up being quite fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great movie.
20. Ernest Scared Stupid (1991): I LOVED Ernest when I was a kid, and this was a particular favorite.