Let’s talk last-minute gifts, shall we? So it’s a week before Christmas and you still haven’t picked up a gift or two… Maybe you were waiting for payday, maybe you were busy, or maybe you’re just a giant procrastinator like me. For me, it was all three-so I turned to my trusty old Prime shipping and picked some gifts I could be sure I’d get in time for Christmas. Next year I’ll be more on the ball, I swear, but this year we’re doing the last-minute gift giving. It’s a good job my husband is so easy to buy for! He loves anime so I just get him a Nendoroid figure and he’s more than happy! So, I decided to share a few ideas with you to help you other last-minute shoppers find the perfect gift. If you are already planning ahead for next year though, than there are loads of gifts that you could get people. It also makes your life a lot easier. For example, if you know that your friend is a cat lover, then you can easily get them something like these incredibly realistic looking cat toys, particularly if they had a cat during their childhood that they loved. Sometimes it’s nice to get something with a bit of a personal touch. You’ll hopefully find that in the future that it’s a lot easier to come prepared if you get the gifts well in advance.
Many links in this post are affiliate links, at no extra cost to you I may receive a small compensation if you make a purchase through them. Thank you so much for supporting my blog and helping me keep up the writing and follow my dreams.
Last Minute Gifts To Buy and/or Order Online
If you have Amazon Prime, you get free two-day shipping on many things on their site. Most things, if ordered today, will be to you (in the US) by Friday. Just make sure to check each listing to see when it will be to you. When I was picking out gifts yesterday on Amazon I made sure to check that it was eligible for Prime before listing it here.
One other good thing about Amazon Prime, if you have absolutely waited to the last minute you can just have Amazon wrap it and ship it directly to the person you intend to give it to-gift note and everything. I’ve received stuff wrapped by them before and it’s done wonderfully, with pretty blue paper.
Something to Read
Reading is something many of us enjoy often, in some way or another, and giving the gift of reading is one of the best things you can do. I’m a huge fan of giving books to people, especially children, because I like to further their knowledge and education. Sometimes it feels like it’s my own “agenda” to give books, because I want everyone I know and love to be intelligent and well-read, but I also feel like it’s beneficial to the recipient and society as a whole.
Kindle eReader – With us being in such a technological age most people are using Kindles now. Even big print lovers (like me) are stopping to get an eReader for things like travel or free eBooks. In fact, you can even take your gift a step further and load it up with books before giving it to them for a more personal touch.
Books – Books are always a big hit with me so I always recommend giving the gift of fiction (or non-fiction, if that’s what they’re into). Need an idea? Here is a short list of my all-time favorite books to gift:
- The Diviners by Libba Bray – This is a great work of fiction that takes you all the way back to the roaring twenties and mixes in the lingo, great visual descriptions, and a little bit of magic and intrigue. I’m still reading this one, but I knew I’d recommend it after the first chapter.
- The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker – This is a book I listened to on Audio book this year and it was wonderfully written and enthralling. It takes you way back to the early 1900s and into a deeper culture of immigrants and their beliefs and magic. I really enjoyed it.
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman – Gaiman is my favorite author, so I’d recommend giving any of his books. However, if you have someone who’s new to his work, this piece is particularly beautiful and will introduce them to the fantastical world that is his writing.
- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley – This is a perfect book for fantasy lovers, and though I read it many years ago it remains at the top of my favorites. It’s also a book I’ve given often-as I just love the twist on the old tales of King Arthur and Morganna.
- The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – This will always be one of my favorite, and (in my opinion) best written books on the planet. It’s great for sci-fi and non sci-fi lovers alike, and it’ll give anyone a good laugh to read these tales.
- The Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz – This book has also been a favorite of mine to give as a gift. It explores the way we love-both ourselves and other people, and it provides so many valuable insights for people on how they react to love, heartbreak, and their personal interactions. It’s kind of like a “self-help” book, but not really, and I think anyone of any belief system could benefit from it.
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler – I haven’t read this one, but I hear such good things about it. Along the lines of this book, you could also gift Bossy Pants by Tina Fey or one of Mindy Kaling’s books Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) or her newest, Why Not Me?
- Choose Happy by The Brave Girl Club – The BGC is a group that works on building up women and being inspirational, and this book is a collection of art and inspiration towards being happy daily.
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron – I see this as a must for anyone who is artistic or creative. It’s sort of a “spiritual” course that helps people get in touch with their inner artist and work on creating.
An Audible Subscription or Audio Books – This is the perfect gift for that friend who has a huge commute, or who loves to read but leads such a busy life. I listen to audio books in the car, or when I’m cleaning the house, or when I’m working on arts and crafts. It’s great!
A Magazine Subscription – Have a friend who doesn’t read much? Get them a year’s subscription to their favorite magazine. Are they beauty or fashion inclined? Try Elle or Cosmopolitan. Are they into homemaking or did they just buy a new house? Try Food Network Magazine, Better Homes and Gardens, and Good Housekeeping. The gift will come each month for a year, and they’ll think of you each time.
Something to Inspire Their Creativity
Adult Coloring Books – These are all the rage this year. Pick out a cute coloring book or two that you think your friend will like, match it with some crayons, colored pencils, or markers-and voila! What a fun and perfect gift. If you need to snag one in time you can pick one up at a local craft store, or you can snag them from Amazon. Here are a few of my favorites:
- One of Johanna Basford’s fantastical activity books
- A coloring book that inspires a certain emotion
- A coloring book related to their favorite fandom
- A holiday-themed coloring book
Something to Prepare them For the New Year
A New Planner – Everyone loves a beautiful planner, so give the gift of organization and get them a new planner! There’s still time to grab them a beautiful Me & My Big Ideas The Happy Planner (or enter to win The Happy Planner for yourself here) or you can get them a beautiful Tools4Wisdom Planner.
A Calendar – Calendars make lovely gifts, especially if you pick something fun and adorable out.
A Fitbit – If you know your gift recipient will want to start their goal of getting into shape in the new year, you can get them a fantastic fitness accessory like the Fitbit. You could also go a little bit more stylish and get them one that looks like a bracelet-such as the Jawbone UP2 Fitness Tracker. Fitbit is great for anyone who is interested in keeping fit. If you know someone who would love this fitness gift, you can visit a site similar to Mobile Mob to find the latest in fit bit accessories.
Something for the Home
Most people love gifts that they can use around the home. Things like throw pillows, blankets, decorations, or kitchen supplies are always useful and well-loved. If you want to get a loved one something a bit more personal then you could always use custom photo printing to get them a photo of a fond memory. If this is something that you are considering doing, then it might be better to make sure that you have plenty of time to prepare it.
Last Minute Gifts for the Home Pictured here:
Showutheworld Cotton Imagine Throw Pillow Cover | Northpoint Cashmere Plush Velvet Throw | 4-Panel Canvas Print Flickering Flowers | Hanging Clear Glass Prism Air Plant Terrarium | SterlingPro French Coffee Press | Urban Shop Mosaic Glass Lamp with Satin Shade | First Lines Literature Mug | Polished Agate Geode Halves Bookends | Moroccan Trellis Area Rug | Hexagallery Decorative Wall Shelves
Something that Keeps on Giving
Get them a year or a few months of a subscription box.
- For Foodies: 11 Worthy Monthly Subscription Boxes for Food (I also recommend Mary’s Secret Ingredients)
- For Beauty Buffs: Subscription Boxes for Beauty
- For Geeks: 20 Geeky Subscription Boxes You need Right Now
- For Fashion Fanatics: 12 Monthly Subscription Boxes for Fashion Lovers
- For Creatives: DIY and Craft Subscription Boxes
- For Pet Lovers: List of Subscription Boxes for Pets (I really recommend PetGiftBox)
There are tons more out there, I hope one of those lists I’ve linked to helps you find one that fits what you need. If not, there’s always trusty google or sites like My Subscription Addiction or Find Subscription Boxes.
Last Minute Gifts You Can Make
Want some fun last-minute handmade gift ideas? Here are a few tutorials I have available on my blog:
Here’s some fun tutorials I found on Pinterest that might help you with some quick last-minute handmade gifts:
- Peppermint Pampering Gifts in a Jar
- Chalkboard Mug and K-Cups
- Handcrafted Coffee Syrups
- Homemade Lemon Soap
- Easy DIY Lightbulb Aquarium
- Rudolf Baking Gift Jar
- DIY Snow Globes
- DIY Glitter Bulb Ornaments
- Merry Merlot Wine Label Printable
- DIY Rudolf Hot Cocoa Gift
If all else fails, give them a gift card! I recommend an Etsy Gift Card, due to the nature of what they can buy from themselves too, but I also love receiving and giving Amazon gift cards and Target gift cards. The sky really is the limit.
Are you ready for Christmas?
Check out this fab sponsor: